The TNStars College Savings 529 Program
Your child has big dreams for the future. But as a parent, you understand that it’s never too early to start planning for tomorrow. That’s where the TNStars College Savings 529 Program comes in.
College Savings Made Easy
The TNStars College Savings 529 Program offers parents and other family members a simple way to save for future college expenses. The program—which is available through the Tennessee Treasury Department—features smart and flexible investment options, plus important tax savings to help your money go further.
- Affordability – Participants in TNStar® who meet certain income eligibility requirements may apply for the Tennessee Investments Preparing Scholars(TIPS) program. This program is offered by the TNStars ® plan and it provides a 4-to-1 matching contribution for middle to lower income families who have set aside money in their child’s TNStars® college savings account. To qualify for the TIPS matching grant program, the family’s household Adjusted Gross Income must be less than 250% of the federal poverty level. With TIPS, if a qualifying family opens a TNStars® account and contributes just $25, the Tennessee Treasury Department will put $100 in an account for the designated child. If the family saves a total of $125 in the account by the initial qualifying period, Treasury will contribute $500.
- Tax Savings – Qualified withdrawals are free from federal income tax, and receive favorable treatment for both federal gift and estate tax purposes.
- Availability – You don’t have to be a parent to open a 529 plan. And participation is open to anyone, regardless of income level.
- Flexibility – You can choose from a wide range of investment options and strategies, including a simple age-based plan. And money saved in a 529 program can be used at any qualified institution of higher learning that accepts federal financial aid—even outside the U.S.
- Convenience – Participants can open and manage accounts online at www.TNStars.com, and a number of interactive tools and resources also are available to assist in planning online.
To learn more about the TNStars College Savings 529 Program, visit TNStars.com or call toll free at 855-3TN-STAR (855-386-7827).